Friday, February 19, 2010

The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet




My first up-all-night literary love affair was with Colleen McCullough’s The Thorn Birds.

I found the jacket-less hardcover in my grandmother’s basement, packed away in a box. I don’t know what caught my eye about the plain burlap-brown cover. The book didn't look like anything special. I tucked it under my arm and carried it upstairs to my room, where it sat for weeks until a bout of insomnia needed a novel cure.

I could not stop myself from turning the pages. My eyelids grew heavy, but I started every new chapter eager to continue the story. I remember the birds started to chirp hello to the dawn when dear Dane died, when Meggie realized her ashes-of-roses life was a series of love and loss and more loss, and that Drogheda would go on with another family, another saga.

Imagine my delight at finding The Holy Grail of all Pride and Prejudice sequels! A 20-years-after happily ever after by Colleen McCullough!

A lengthy paperback, the cover looks remarkably like the DVD cover art for the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. I won't judge it for that artistic rip-off. Let's just hope the author of The Thorn Birds delivers in the chapters.

The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet is on my nightstand. Ready for another adventure with the Bennet's?

No comments:

Post a Comment